A TWO HANDER



KEITH AND TOM IN TORONTO


THE PLAY


(A SMALL PIECE DISSECTED FROM THE PLAY)

TOM: What's wrong with you today,someone die?

KEITH: No! It's Francine.

Yesterday I went home for lunch,

I never go home for lunch.


When I got to our apartment I don't know why but I didn't reach for my key. Francine was at work and I always leave last in the morning. I was sure I had locked the door but I didn't reach for my key.

I reached for the door knob and turned.

The door was open.


The moment I entered I knew, I could feel it, I could smell it, Hell I could taste it.I started walking but my muscles wouldn't move, I could barely breathe, leave I told myself but I kept walking, I was walking to the beating of the rhythm of my heart.

Not really walking, it was like moving through mud, like a slow motion scene in a movie. But this wasn't a movie. This was my life and I could feel it slipping away from my grasp.


I heard noises!

I had heard that noise a hundred times before,

Francine.

It traveled through the muck in the air like the sound from a distorted speaker. It mocked me.


I reached our bedroom and there they were. I knew, I knew the moment I entered the apartment.
Why hadn't I just turned back. I could barely see, my eyes were blurry,

yet I knew I had never seen him before.

You'd think I would be mad,

I wasn't.


You'd think I'd curse and call her whore, she wasn't.

She was just sharing, hm sure sharing.


I had done the same countless times before.


That was so different it felt so harmless,


this?


well itttt
hacked and tore away at my spirit, at my self worth.

I spoke

I mean my lips moved and words came out...

I think. I think I said,
I'm not sure it all happened so fast,

she never spoke.

I could see the shame on her face she didn't need to speak, but,

but I think I said 'Sorry,... I said Sorry and I left.

I walked for what seemed hours
it was minutes, it wasn't like I was walking to a different drummer, this was different there just wasn't any music anymore.

I walked until I couldn't walk any more and went back to the apartment, she was gone she had left a note it said Sorry...

...we both were.

THERE IS A LONG PAUSE AND FINALLY TOM SPEAKS IN A SOFT VOICE

TOM: I don't believe you!

KEITH: True

TOM: I know you, Keith.

THERE IS A PAUSE

TOM: Francine caught you in bed with that girl from the doughnut shop.

KEITH: True. What do you think of the monologue, I wrote it last night.

TOM: You slay me. Yeah sure great monologue. Have you ever thought of having it removed?

KEITH:
I refuse to be your straight man


TOM: Your little brain thinks too much. I'm going out do you want a coffee.

KEITH: True.

armandhamouth

0 comments: